Pages

Sunday 22 February 2009

Channeling My Inner Earth Mother

The weaning stage is upon us. After several weeks of sleepless nights that have been worse than when Crumpet was a newborn, I have decided to introduce solids into her diet. For the past week, I have been skinning sweet potatoes, pitting peaches, and blitzing bananas in preparation. No jarred food for me (unless we're traveling, of course). Not that I have anything against those cute little jars (in fact, I quite like looking at the smiling face of the Gerber baby), but, honestly, how long does it really take to boil and blend a few carrots? At least this way I know exactly what goes into Crumpet's food. I don't have to worry about it being sweetened with apple juice or have polysyllabic oils added to it. Besides, I question anything that has a shelf life of two years. And I figure I'll be saving a small fortune this way. At 60p a jar, I'll probably end up throwing most of it away anyway, since Crumpet will probably take two bites if I'm lucky. When a whole bag of carrots costs about 40p, there's no comparison. Maybe I'll suggest to The Other Half that we use the savings for a holiday somewhere sunny (I'm ignoring the fact that that flies in the face of my whole money-saving venture in the first place...).

So we now have a section of the freezer specifically devoted to Crumpet's food. I have cubes of apple, pear, sweet potato, plum, and other yummy treats just waiting for her to enjoy... and spit out and chuck on the floor! It's all part of the fun of it, I suppose.

It's surprising how excited I've gotten over "mush," as The Other Half puts it. Annabel Karmel would be proud.

No comments: