Pages

Thursday 5 November 2009

Remember Remember the Fifth of November...


I am sitting in my dining room, listening to the pop and whirr of fireworks on this Bonfire Night, a very British "holiday" which commemorates Guy Fawkes' failed plot to blow up Parliament in 1605.

Most of the U.K.'s major cities host Bonfire Night celebrations (usually on the weekend before or after Bonfire Night, if it happens to fall on a weeknight) with huge fireworks displays, bonfires, music, toffee apples, and more. Perhaps next year, when Crumpet is a bit older, we'll venture to Alexandra Palace, which is just a stone's throw from us in North London and hosts London's largest Bonfire Night celebration. For now, I'm content to watch some of the many private displays that are taking place tonight for free from my dining room window.

It's just another one of those quirky, uniquely British holidays (like Boxing Day) that I look forward to every autumn. Let's just hope the incessant booms don't wake Crumpet....

3 comments:

Michelloui said...

It's nice that you look forward to Bonfire Night. I am always a bit amused by it, but not overly thrilled. I think I get my hopes up and then it rains.

But I am totally with you on Boxing Day, what a great idea for a holiday!!

Angela said...

I think the only thing I don't like is when I still hear fireworks at midnight!

Dave said...

Hi,

Apologies for the message out of the blue. I am developing a series of Expat city guides, www.expatarrivals.com, and are looking for local expats to help build them up, and in return benefit from advertising revenue and promotion of their blog/website. In most cases the core content has been developed and we now want the useful details that resident expats can provide.

The project is designed to be beneficial to all parties: you get exposure, ad revenue and the enjoyment of sharing your knowledge, while expat readers benefit from your expertise when planning their big move.

Would you be interested in contributing, or do you know of any other local expats who may like to get involved? If so please get in touch.

Best regards,

Dave
david.fair@wordtravels.com