Pages

Sunday 8 May 2011

Fun With Language: Part 2

Last year, I wrote a post about Crumpet's expanding vocabulary and the development of a very hybrid accent. Now, at two and a half years old, her accent is distinctly British. At least, according to my sister. I personally don't notice it so much because I hear her every day and, to me, she doesn't sound especially British or American; she just sounds like my Crumpet.

However, the most interesting linguistic evolution that has occurred this year is my changing accent. When I first moved to the UK nearly five years ago, I never thought I would lose my American accent. Sure, early on I adopted new words like aubergine instead of eggplant and lorry instead of truck because, quite frankly, it was easier than having to correct myself when people gave me blank stares or chuckled in response. On one of my first trips back to North Carolina after moving to the UK, one of my friends even noticed that I had started to use the phrase "ring me" instead of "call me." But I was particularly adamant that I would not turn into Madonna and adopt some faux-British accent.

When you have a child who pronounces bath bahth and tomayto tomahto, however, it's bound to rub off on you. I now find myself enunciating my ts (as in butter, not budder, and water instead of wadder), saying musn't and naughty (in a very affected sort of way, not in a way that sounds like the word has ds in it), and calling myself "Mummy." On our recent holiday, I even found myself wavering between saying France and the very-British sounding Frahnce, depending on my mood.

I guess, like all species, I am simply adapting to my new habitat. But as soon as I set foot on Carolina soil (or speak to my family or friends), there is a slight twang that returns.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi there!
I just came across your blog today and enjoy reading it! I am shortly (depending on when my visa arrives) moving to England with my British hubby so it's cool to read about your experiences, having been abroad for a few years. The one thing we always talk about is whether we'd move back to the US if we have children some day. Do you guys think you'll stay in England or move back to the States?
Amanda

http://amandamolly.blogspot.com/

Angela said...

Hi Amanda. Thanks for the comment! The "to move/not to move" dilemma is always on my mind, but for the moment we are pretty rooted here. It's hard being away from my friends and family, but now that we have Crumpet she is enough of a distraction not to constantly think about how much I miss the States! And, as time passes, the UK is more and more like home. I will definitely check out your blog!