Pages

Saturday 28 April 2012

Life is Sweet

Crumpet 2 is three weeks old today. It truly is amazing how time flies the second time around. With a three-and-a-half-year-old to keep up with, there isn't much time to slow down and savor every moment, but we're trying. Cupcake (as she will be referred to henceforth) has fit perfectly into our lives and is (let me not jinx myself here) so far a very laid-back, easy-going baby. She is a total contrast to the way her big sister was at this stage. While Crumpet was awake from the moment she was born (and still does everything she can to fight sleep), Cupcake will quite happily sleep the day away. She is gradually getting her days and nights sorted out, though, so the sleep deprivation we experienced in the first couple of weeks is beginning to fade.

I've been told by many friends and family members who have more than one child that the second time around is a lot easier. I'm not sure if I'd agree that it's "easy," but I would definitely say we're more relaxed than we were when Crumpet was born. At least this time we're a little more clued in to how things work, we don't jump at every little sneeze or hiccup, and we don't feel guilty for not rushing to pick her up at the first cry.

Crumpet, for her part, has been an attentive and helpful big sister. We really couldn't ask for more from her. Yes, we've had our share of issues that have tested our patience a bit more  than usual over the past three weeks, but they are typical three-year-old issues and nothing really related to jealousy. (I'm not kidding myself, though. I'm sure we have that to come in about ten years' time.)

It's early days still, and I know there will be challenges ahead, but one thing is certain: our little Cupcake makes our life so much sweeter.

No comments: