Pages

Sunday 29 July 2012

American Baby: The Sequel

There's another American in the family. As of last Wednesday, Cupcake is officially an American citizen, just like her big sister. Our trip to the embassy marked a couple of firsts for little Cupcake: her first time on the Tube and her first time into central London. And we couldn't have asked for a better baby: she slept when she was supposed to, and when she was awake she was smiley and content, like she usually is. Even the journey itself turned out to be better than expected. I had strategically booked our appointment two days before the start of the Olympics so we could avoid the major crowds; still, I was convinced it would be a bum fight on the Tube, so I was pleasantly surprised when we actually managed to get seats. And even though Wednesday was the hottest day of the year so far, at nearly 90 degrees, the atmosphere under ground was not as insufferable as I expected. At the end of the day, I came to the conclusion that I really have been here too long because, like a true Brit, I am starting to expect the worst in most situations.

Wednesday turned out to be quite a memorable day for another reason. On the way home from the embassy, we stopped in Whetstone in North London to catch a glimpse of the Olympic Torch as it made its way through the Borough of Barnet. We had a great spot along the road, so I was able to snap this picture:
We concluded the day with cake and champagne in a friend's garden and a fish and chip supper at home. What a day to celebrate being American AND British.

No comments: