Pages

Thursday 28 April 2011

Wedding Fever

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few months, you know that tomorrow is the wedding of the century... or at least the decade. I don't in any way consider myself a royalist, but I do like tradition and a bit of pomp and ceremony, so I will be celebrating Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding with the rest of the world. But unlike the hundreds of people who have been brave (or crazy) enough to camp outside Westminster Abbey, I will be watching the ceremony from the comfort of my couch. Well, actually, my mother-in-law's couch.

It's pretty exciting to be in London for the event, even if I don't plan to go anywhere near the city tomorrow. Let's face it: I'll get a much better view on TV. The bunting is out, the flags are up, and today I even treated myself to a festive Union Jack-themed cupcake from a local cafe (and bought myself a commemorative William and Kate mug, which I know is a bit tacky, but I figured £5.50 wasn't too bad for a bit of fun).

We plan to mark tomorrow's occasion by indulging in a very British tradition: afternoon tea. Tonight I have been busy baking shortbread, almond chocolate macaroons, and lemon meringue cupcakes. My mother-in-law is in charge of the finger sandwiches and scones with cream and jam. If all goes according to plan (and my macaroons don't collapse), I'll post photos tomorrow.

Like I said, I may not be a royalist, but I do like to be a part of history... and have an excuse to party. And, like millions of other Brits, I'm extremely grateful for the wedding gift William and Kate have given us: an extra holiday!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Enjoy your day off! I will be waking up at 4am for the wedding here in Virginia.

Unknown said...

I was up at 4am to watch the wedding and my sweetheart Vernon was on the phone watching it with me. It was wonderful!