Pages

Thursday 21 April 2011

In My Mind I'm Goin' to Carolina (Reprise)

We returned last night from our French voyage that I mentioned in my last post (yes, yes, it has been that long since I last blogged, and I'm beyond embarrassed about how badly I have been keeping it up). The Other Half, Crumpet, my mother-in-law, and I had a lovely time staying with extended family in Montreuil-sur-Mer in the Pas-de-Calais region and then touring Upper Normandy for another few days, and I will write a proper post with photos soon.

While we were away, I didn't go near a computer or a television, and I only used my mobile for emergencies. It was nice being detached from the rest of the world. At least, at the time. You could imagine my shock when I returned last night to learn (via Facebook, of course) that my hometown of Sanford, North Carolina had been devastated by a deadly tornado that killed two people (and more in the surrounding towns) and damaged several homes, including the home of one of my close friends. Thankfully, she and her husband and two children are okay physically, but I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through emotionally. My parents were spared major damage, but if the path of the storm had been just a few miles north, they might not have been so lucky. The storm was so bad it made international news; here it is on the BBC.

I've seen natural disasters like this before unfold on TV: the tsumani in 2005, Hurricane Katrina... and growing up in a state that is a frequently struck by hurricanes, we've had our share of near misses. But I never imagined something so devastating would strike this close to home. I just wish I could help in a more tangible, constructive way. It's times like these when I feel very disconnected from home. Facebook and Skype are wonderful for keeping in touch, but virtual reality isn't always the most comforting substitute for being with the people you love in person.

No comments: